Whether you’ve been with your partner for decades or you’ve only just started dating, finding the perfect Valentine’s gift can be difficult, and with Valentine’s Day fast approaching you may be tempted to go for the ‘safe’ option of flowers.
Present your loved one with a beautiful bouquet and they’re sure to be impressed, right? Not if they own a cat and you’ve chosen lilies…
This Valentine’s Day feline charity International Cat Care, (iCatCare) is urging people to leave out lilies if their loved one has a cat.
Lilies are frequently used in flower arrangements for their attractive appearance and fragrant flowers, however many people are still unaware of the danger they pose to cats.
Lilies contain a toxin that makes eating even the smallest amount of any part of the plant – flowers, leaves, stem or pollen – extremely dangerous to cats. Even licking the pollen off their coat or drinking the water from a vase containing lilies can cause grave illness. Once ingested, the toxin causes severe damage to the kidneys, which can cause the kidneys to fail and even result in death. Signs of poisoning include drooling, vomiting, refusing food, lethargy and depression and a vet may find enlarged and painful kidneys on examination.
The message of iCatCare’s campaign is that if you own a cat, you should never have lilies in the house, nor should you gift cat lovers in your life lilies. And, should you suspect that your cat has been exposed to lilies, seek immediate veterinary advice.
For more information about lily poisoning and to download the charity’s ‘lethal lilies’ warning poster visit: http://icatcare.org/advice/keeping-cats-safe/lilies